kookie in dubai - tales in the desert city

Sunday, December 17

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Well that's a blatant lie…I'm not really. I'm dreaming about lying next to a pool, sipping on a Pink Lady and eating roasted peanuts while the sun goes down in Sri Lanka.

Back in reality people in the sandlands flock to the malls as the sales begin and see huge Christmas decorations that put the Myer windows to shame. I just went to Wafi City, a high end mall, with the most elaborate Christmas decorations that I've ever seen. There's a Santa house with four elfs waiting to play with children and a huge tree laden with presents. Even though Muslims technically don't celebrate Christmas the retailers understand and appreciate ($) the importances of the holiday in the west, and shops have been bombarding the public with advertising since October, just like at home.

I went to Wafi in search of decent mince pies. I made the trip to Marks & Spencers to no avail…they decided not to stock them this year. So I left very disappointed but have already decided to go second rate and find some mince pies at the local Spinneys supermarket. Mr Kiplings will have to do…HO HO HO…

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger nzm, at 6:53 pm  

  • That's the first time that I've heard of Santa having 4 eels!

    Have a great time in Sri Lanka!

    By Blogger nzm, at 6:54 pm  

  • Hi Kath, Em Smith here. Just wanted to say all the best for Christmas and New Year in Sri Lanka. Love your tales and your writing which makes me miss you more....look forward to seeing you in Melb if you have time. Love Em and the boys x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 am  

  • i took one look at the time out guide to mince pies and scratched them off my christmas list.

    By Blogger Drue, at 8:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home