kookie in dubai - tales in the desert city

Monday, August 28

Wash Me Clean

I had to do a visa run the other day. This means leaving Dubai, exiting the country by car or plane and then returning to get another stamp in your passport which gives you 60 days on a tourist visa. I chose to fly to Doha, Qatar which is an hour away.

Before check in I thought I'd pop to the ladies, as you do, and do the obligatory 'before you board a plane toilet visit'. I walked in to the loos and there were 10 chicks, a family, washing their feet in the basin or touching up their make up.
Their abayas (the long traditional black dress) were hanging up all around the room. I was washing my hands when a European tourist came in and made very loud sniffing noises and looked disgusted with what she saw. She was right to think that the toilets smelt; they reeked of foot odour. It was a really pungent smell that hit you as soon as you walked in the door.

What she may not have realised is that the women were washing themselves in preparation for prayer time. When they had all washed their feet, they washed their hands and put their abayas back on over their jeans and tops and then left to go to the prayer room.

2 Comments:

  • For some reason I always notice the signs directing to the prayer room when I'm at an airport. Sometimes I even follow them to take a look - I imagine that the Prayer Room is going to be some kind of lush calm oasis in a big bustling airport. It never is though. It's usually more like a big cupboard.

    How was Qatar?

    By Blogger Naomi, at 3:25 am  

  • Doha = Dull.

    I flew in, sat in the airport for 2 hours, got on the next plane and flew back to Dubai. The whole process was a 8 hour experience from start to finish and cost around $200 AUD. Doha is a small version of Dubai with major plans for development, much of which has started as they are hosting the Asian Games in December this year.

    By Blogger kookie, at 7:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home