kookie in dubai - tales in the desert city

Monday, May 8

It’s fab dahling!

I found Fabindia (www.fabindia.com), it‘s a beautiful shop with lots of glourious reams of colourful fabric, some tunics and homewares. It was so refreshing to walk through the doors to find shelves of cool cotton with lovely patterns that have all been handcrafted in India. Apparently there are only two shops outside of India and this is one of them. I bought some pillow cases and a long tunic top with a Chinese collar.

Another thing that is also really fab is Spinneys. It’s a supermarket that stocks Waitrose products (Waitrose is a UK supermarket well known for its quality food stuffs) and is a haven for any ex-pat living in Dubai. Tim Tams, Vegemite, Australian lamb, cheese from all over the world, South African breakfast cereal and Dutch cookies. I’m in shopping heaven when I’m there. I spent 2 hours looking through stock, seeing where all the different types of pasta came from and reading all the labels until the security guard kept looking at me, I then decided it was time to pay for my miserly bread and milk and leave.

One last fab thing. I was in the lift in our apartment building and saw a girl wearing her bathers. “Is there a pool near here?� I asked. “Yes, on the 4th floor� she replied looking at me like I was some sort of idiot. Eh?
P had told me that there was no pool. As soon as I got home I put on my bathers and raced upstairs for some refreshment. My neighbour was there in her not-so-modest togs and me in my grandma costume. Together we silently swam in our pool, on the rooftop of our apartment building in central Dubai when the call to prayer went at the mosque went 2 blocks away. We smiled at each other and at that moment I thought “Isn’t life fab?�

4 Comments:

  • I baulk at the bikini, so I also have grannie-togs. After swimming every day of the long Townsville summer, they are starting to look as old as grandma too.

    Glad you found Fabindia

    Nxx

    By Blogger Naomi, at 10:18 am  

  • and i thought that you would have to wear a birka in the pool. those muslims realy need to get thier act together. i have not heard any more news on dubia work. i'm putting the heavies on them now. 2 weeks and no response is silly. - drue

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 pm  

  • wey hey your own pool!!! i am very jealous. yeah i like the idea of you in a lycra hijab all in one number; one way to combat that sun...i may even think about that considering i bought a factor 50+ sunscreen last week. glad you are having fun.
    claire
    xx

    By Blogger tunabake, at 3:22 pm  

  • Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home