kookie in dubai - tales in the desert city

Tuesday, May 2

Playing wifey

I've been in Dubai for a week and am attempting to set up our new home. Most of it's furnished but I still need to buy new linen, towels and Western modernities like a coffee plunger. I don't mind playing wifey because that's what I am at the moment. I'm unemployed and the agreement is that I'm a kept woman so I do the domestic jobs like grocery shopping, drycleaning and cooking. Hey, hang on, isn't that what I normally do when I work full time anyway?

I went shopping today, as you do in Dubai. I tried to find an Indian hyper-market that only the guide book seems to knows about. I asked eight Indian people "Do you know where Fabindia is?"

The only reply was shaking of the head.

If you read a directory or a guide book it will often say Fabindia...great homewares store. Taxi: Near The Hilton Hotel, off Bank St. No one goes by street numbers. Unusual eh?

After walking for 30 minutes I gave up and went into a supermarket to cool off in free air conditioning and to my delight I found a coffee plunger...Praise Allah!

3 Comments:

  • no photos yet kath?
    come on that coffee plunger is worth a photo!
    if coffee is expensive let me know and i'll send you some over...some great british coffee!
    claire
    x

    By Blogger tunabake, at 2:47 pm  

  • Welcome to blogland!

    And well done on getting the coffee sorted. Coffee is much more of a challenge once you leave Melbourne, no?

    By Blogger Naomi, at 4:07 am  

  • Fabindia? The one on
    Al Mankhool Road? By the bank? Its great! You really must go! I hear their kurtas are both mysterious and indescribable.

    Am also looking forward to seeing you in London.

    Ed

    By Blogger Mr E, at 8:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home